May 9 - 17, 2020
Trip Leader - Deirdre Butler
Almost a third of Cornwall has the designation Area of Outstanding Natural beauty, with the same status and protection as a National Park. In 2006, the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape achieved World Heritage Status with the Cornwall section claiming the title “The Tin Coast”. On this trip we explore the Penwith and Lizard Heritage Coasts included within this designated area.
It is thought that Cornish tin has been traded throughout Britain for around 4000 years. In the 1870s, a handful of mines in Cornwall and Devon produced over half the world’s arsenic. It was a by-product of tin and copper processing and was mainly used in paint, weedkillers and insecticide. Known as ‘Kilgoodh Ust’ in Cornish, meaning ‘goose back of St Just’, Cape Cornwall is one of only two capes in Britain and marks the point where the Atlantic currents divide. Some of the water flows north into the Bristol Channel and the Irish Sea, and the rest becomes the English Channel.
Suited to the active walker who likes to hike 5-6 miles daily over varied terrain. Group size 10-14.
- Lodging in a boutique four-star hotel (double-occupancy with en suite bath).
- All on-trip land transportation.
- Most on-trip meals.
- All entrance fees for listed activities including 12 art galleries.
- Wild food foraging and taster lesson.
- Gratuities for local service providers.
- 4 pre - trip bulletins prior to departure with more detailed and specific information to help you prepare for your adventure.
What’s not included:
- International airfare and in-country travel, pre - and post- trip.
- One lunch and one dinner.
- Beverages with meals.
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for trip leader are at your discretion.
Trip Price: $3,680 per person | Deposit: $920
Price is based on double occupancy of rooms. Same gender roommate will be assigned to participants traveling solo. Single supplements are limited. Your non-refundable deposit will hold your reservation. Either pay on line (credit/ debit cards accepted) using our secure PayPal payment system or write a check, payable to “Big Round World”, and mail it to: PO Box 1337, Lyons, CO 80540.
How to Sign Up
- Pay your trip deposit - click on the yellow Buy Now button below.
- Send us your trip paperwork.